At a time when any information we want is right at our fingertips, it’s more important than ever to make sure that the information we are taking in is accurate.
Even when it comes to legal practice management software and law firm accounting, there is “fake news” everywhere.
- Good legal accounting software is a vital part of your law firm’s success, but knowing what is going to best fit your needs can be overwhelming.
- As more law firms adopt a tech stack approach to their software needs, choosing the applications that work best for you has become easier than ever, particularly when you find the ones that integrate easily with others.
- QuickBooks Online has long been an accounting software system that businesses everywhere count on for their financial needs, and law firms can greatly benefit from this platform as well.
Arming yourself with as many facts as possible will come in handy when you begin looking at your law firm’s tech stack and deciding what areas need to be improved and what features can go.
Good law firm accounting is one of the most vital pieces of a tech stack that you need to make sure you have in place.
Attorneys aren’t accountants, and there’s a good chance that most of your support staff don’t claim to be either.
Having the right legal accounting software is vital for a law firm because it serves as the backbone of financial management, ensuring accurate and efficient handling of your firm’s finances.
With the right accounting practices in place, your firm can maintain compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, correctly manage trust accounts, effectively manage client invoicing, track expenses, and make informed financial decisions.
Legal accounting software allows you to track billable hours which ensures that accurate client billing happens.
It can also provide the robust reporting capabilities that you need, enabling you to conduct matter based accounting, analyze key financial metrics and gain insights into your firm’s financial health and long-term growth.
Let’s look at one accounting application that can easily serve a law firm in all these areas and more, particularly when it’s integrated into a tech stack system that includes a legal billing software app like LeanLaw.
QuickBooks Online: The Best Accounting Software for Your Law Firm
QuickBooks Online is an accounting software platform that has proven to be a game-changer for law firms.
By providing a comprehensive and user-friendly accounting solution tailored to meet the unique needs of legal professionals, QuickBooks can easily be paired with other applications that are law firm-specific, creating a strong legal practice management software tech stack for your firm.
What is QuickBooks Online?
QuickBooks Online is a cloud-based accounting software developed by Intuit.
It has gained widespread popularity and is considered one of the leading accounting solutions for businesses of all sizes and industries.
QuickBooks Online offers a range of features and tools designed to simplify financial management, streamline workflows, and provide valuable insights into business performance.
The History Behind QuickBooks Online:
Intuit, the company behind QuickBooks Online, initially launched the software in 2001 as a web-based alternative to its popular desktop version.
Over the years, it has evolved into a multi-faceted and user-friendly accounting solution that caters to the diverse needs of businesses worldwide.
With regular updates and improvements, QuickBooks Online has become a trusted choice for millions of users.
One of the unique features that QuickBooks Online brings to the industry is that it is suitable for businesses of all sizes, from freelancers and sole proprietors to small and medium-sized enterprises.
Even for those with limited accounting experience, QuickBooks lets a person feel more in control of their bank accounts and overall financials, giving the user confidence to manage their money in ways not possible without this tech stack tool.
Depending on a business’s needs, there are a few different Quickbooks Online account options to choose from:
Simple Start: This is the basic version of QuickBooks Online, designed for freelancers, self-employed individuals, and very small businesses. It allows you to track income and expenses in and out of your bank account, create and send invoices, and run basic financial reports.
Essentials: The Essentials version of QuickBooks offers additional features beyond what Simple Start provides. In addition to basic accounting functions, it includes features like bill management, time tracking, and multiple-user access. It is suitable for small businesses that require more advanced capabilities.
Plus: Plus is the most comprehensive version of QuickBooks Online. It offers all the features of Essentials, along with additional functionalities such as inventory tracking, project profitability analysis, and the ability to manage and pay bills. Plus is ideal for small to medium-sized businesses that need more advanced inventory and expense management tools.
Schedule a demo
Advanced: QuickBooks Online Advanced is designed for growing businesses with more complex accounting needs. It provides enhanced features, including smart reporting, accelerated invoicing, custom user roles, and dedicated customer support. Advanced is suitable for businesses that are rapidly growing, need greater user controls, and enjoy more personalized support.
For most law firms, QuickBooks Online Advanced is most likely going to be the best QuickBooks account for you to choose from.
QuickBooks Online Advanced can help legal firms better scale with automated workflows, customization, and custom roles and permissions. You will not outgrow this law firm software when you pair it with LeanLaw and make it a big part of your firm’s overall tech stack.
QuickBooks for Law Firms: The Features that Your Firm Needs
QuickBooks Online is going to offer your law firm a wide range of functionalities that go well beyond traditional accounting tasks.
By incorporating it as a priority tool in your tech stack, QuickBooks Online can provide great value to your attorneys, your support staff, and your clients. Here are some of the top QuickBooks Online essentials that your firm needs:
Invoicing and Payment Processing: QuickBooks Online allows you to create and customize professional-quality legal billing invoices, track payments, and accept payment collection from clients, which is all going to make your billing process seamless and efficient.
Expense Tracking: With QuickBooks Online, you can easily track and categorize business expenses, upload receipts, and reconcile bank transactions. This helps everyone in your firm to stay organized and ensures accurate financial records.
Financial Reporting: QuickBooks Online provides a variety of customizable and easy-to-understand reports, including profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements. These reports offer valuable insights into your firm’s financial health and performance and will always lead to informed decision-making.
Integration Capabilities: QuickBooks Online is easy to integrate with a wide range of third-party applications and tools, such as office suite software and legal accounting software like LeanLaw.
This seamless integration allows you to connect with other essential legal practice management software systems in your practice, which will then streamline data flow and improve overall efficiency.
Mobile Access: QuickBooks Online offers mobile applications for iOS and Android devices, enabling you to access your financial data on the go.
QuickBooks Online and LeanLaw: A Perfect Match for All Your Billing and Accounting Management Needs
From tracking billable hours to managing expenses and ensuring compliance with trust accounting regulations, having the right accounting software is essential for any law firm to succeed long term.
QuickBooks Online and LeanLaw are the perfect partnership to help you meet all these needs as well as many more.
Here are 6 of the best reasons why QuickBooks Online and LeanLaw should both be added to your tech stack today:
1. Seamless Integration: QuickBooks Online and LeanLaw offer seamless integration with each other, allowing for efficient and accurate synchronization of financial data between the two platforms. This eliminates the need for manual data entry and ensures that your financial information is always up-to-date and consistent across both systems.
2. Streamlined Time and Expense Tracking: With QuickBooks Online and LeanLaw, you can easily track and manage your attorney’s and support staff’s billable time and expenses in a centralized system. This feature enables you to accurately capture billable hours, record expenses, and allocate costs to specific clients and/or matters.
3. Trust Accounting Compliance: Trust accounting is a critical aspect of any legal practice, and the collaboration of QuickBooks Online and LeanLaw is ideal for meeting your firm’s trust accounting needs. When paired together, you’ll have trust accounting features like customized trust fund management, three-way reconciliation, and automated trust ledger entries which all result in your firm being fully transparent in your trust accounting as well as being in complete compliance with the trust accounting rules and regulations in your area.
4. Efficient Invoicing and Billing: QuickBooks Online and LeanLaw simplify the invoicing and billing process for law firms. You can easily generate professional-looking invoices, customized billing templates, and even send invoices to clients directly from the software. Additionally, using these two platforms together allows you to easily transfer time and expense entries from LeanLaw to QuickBooks Online, simplifying the billing process and reducing the need for as much manual work from your staff.
5. Comprehensive Financial Reporting: Both QuickBooks Online and LeanLaw offer robust reporting capabilities, allowing you to gain valuable insights into your law firm’s financial performance. You can generate a wide range of financial reports, including profit and loss statements, balance sheets, trust account reports, client-specific reports, and matter-specific reports. These reports provide you with a clear understanding of your revenue, expenses, profitability, and financial health.
6. Enhanced Efficiency and Productivity: By using QuickBooks Online and LeanLaw together, you can significantly improve the efficiency and productivity of your law firm’s accounting processes. The built-in automation features eliminate the need for as much manual data entry which means that fewer errors are going to happen and more time is going to be saved.
By leveraging the power of QuickBooks Online and LeanLaw, you can effectively manage your law firm’s finances, ensure compliance, and drive the success of your practice.
Are You Excited to Learn More?
If you think that QuickBooks Online and LeanLaw would be a good fit for your practice’s tech stack of legal software, reach out to the expert at LeanLaw today.
As a company that was created by legal professionals who were fed up with law practice management software that didn’t deliver as it should, LeanLaw knows how to address the billing and accounting needs of mid-sized and small law firms.
Let us start helping you address your needs now. Try out our free demo and see how well LeanLaw is going to work for you.